Tuesday, December 3, 2013

May 30, 1989, Maxwell’s, Hoboken, NJ

01. Intro.
02. Talent Show
03. I’ll Be You
04. Asking Me Lies
05. What’s My Scene (Hoodoo Guru’s)
06. Another Girl, Another Planet (Only Ones)
07. Hold My Life
08. Can’t Hardly Wait
09. Nightclub Jitters
10. Within Your Reach
11. Bastards Of Young
12. Waitress In The Sky
13. Unsatisfied
14. I Will Dare
15. Here Comes A Regular
16. Achin’ To Be
17. California Sun (Rivieras)
18. Never Mind
19. Around And Around (Chuck Berry/Rolling Stones) > Rebel Rebel (David Bowie)
20. Ziggy Stardust (David Bowie)
21. Love Grows (Where My Rosenary Goes) (Edison Lighthouse)
22. Walking In The Rain (Ronettes)
23. Be My Lover (Alice Cooper)
24. Prince Hal’s Dirge (Loudon Wainwright III)
25. I Can See For Miles (The Who)

Lights that flash in the evening,
Through a crack in the drapes...


Notes: The band is loose and having fun. Doesn’t feel like an ‘89 show. Great audience participation, especially during ‘Rebel Rebel.’ Rare and possible only live performance of ‘Prince Hal’s Dirge.’ Sometimes incorrectly listed as May 23, 1989, which seems impossible considering they played in Kansas City on May 24.

Recording: Audience

9 comments:

  1. An important thing to note about this show is that Chris Mars was not there. Drums were handled by one of those Antons - Fig or Fier, I get them mixed up and either one could be argued to have filled in with the Replacements. My best guess is Fig. This was a "secret" show; the band were in the NYC area for that Rock Awards show the night before or after this. One of my favorite Maxwell's memories. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.: May 30th is the correct date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The show was $5 and came with 2 carnival red tickets for 2 drinks. My two friends & I heard about the show and pleaded with the owner of Maxwells for hours. He finally let us in - AWESOME.
    They played at the 1st American music awards the next night which is hard to believe now.
    $5 bucks, 2 drinks, and the Mats. NICE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was there. Remember I was coming home from work in the City and passed by the great record store by the Hoboken train station (owned by the guys who owned Bar None records) and there was a sign in the window that said "the Replacements. Tonight at Maxwell's." Went in and asked Irish Tom if it was a joke, and he told me no, the Mats were paying that night and I better hustle down and get a ticket. Ran home to our flat, told my dubious roommate that we had to head to Maxwells that instant and that he wouldn't regret it. Great show. As I recall, they played NYC the next night and the critics panned the show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sign was in Pier Platters. The Replacements. Maxwell's. Tonight. $5.

    Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to the gig, heard about it during the day by the agent and Sonic Youth who went down too, lucky enough got on the list and taped it too

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was living at 12th and Washington in Hoboken, when my roomate Nancy came home and said she heard the Mats were playing at Maxwell for $5 and you got a dtink with your ticket. They were in NYC to play a tv tribute to Chuck Berry. I went to Maxwells saw Steve and tried to get 3 tickets, could not, had to be in the house to enter. I called my idiots friend who I was to meet in NYC at the Pig and Whislte and told them to get to Hoboken. Well, this was pre-cell phones. So I went in and got their druken asses out of happy hour, we got to Maxwells and were told it was sold out. I was pissed. I saw Steve, he told the crew I was there earlier, and to let us in. Thank fckn God. As usual, the Mats rocked, no Mars on drums.

    ReplyDelete