Thursday, September 5, 2013

November 5, 1985, Amelia’s, Iowa City, IA

01. Bastards Of Young
02. Answering MAchine
03. Left Of The Dial
04. Lay It Down Clown
05. I Will Dare
06. Can’t Hardly Wait
07. Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald (Gordon Lightfoot)
08. Substitute (The Who)
09. Kiss Me On The Bus
10. Dose Of Thunder
11. I Hate Music
12. Johnny’s Gonna Die
13. Unsatisfied
14. Black Diamond
15. Baby Strange (T.Rex)
16. Color Me Impressed
17. Hitchin’ A Ride (Vanity Fair)
18. Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes (Edison Lighthouse)
19. Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out
20. Take Me Down To The Hospital
21. Walk On The Wild Side (Lou Reed)
22. I Wanna Be Loved (Johnny Thunder)
23. Takin’ Care Of Business (Bachman-Turner Overdrive)
24. I’m in Trouble
25. Go
26. Favorite Thing

Rumors keep on spreading,
All over town...

Notes: Some confusion on the date/location of this show. Some have it listed as taking place at Amelia’s on November 15, 1985. This seems impossible considering they were in the southeast at this time. Sometimes listed as ‘Gabe’s Oasis.' Location has also been confirmed by those who attended the performance.

Recording: Audience

5 comments:

  1. I just came here looking for their cover of Bryan Adams - "Summer of '69" after spotting it on the Cover Songs list on facebook, but don't see it listed here. Is the date a typo, by chance? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tended bar that night at Amelia's and can confirm that The Replacements and 400 of their fans were also there.
    Chris Schipper

    ReplyDelete
  3. They definitely played "Mr. Whirly"...it was my request! As I bellowed it out I locked eyes with Paul, and he grinned...not the kind of moment you forget, even all these years later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also they played "Yummy Yummy Yummy" by the Archies...and "Surfer Girl" by the Beach Boys...the set list here is deceptive; it was way more like one of those classic AM radio 'mats covers shows than what's listed here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And yes, they played "Summer of '69"...it was a freewheeling, free association gig...though weirdly not as drunken as you might expect. It defied that 'either/or' paradigm that everyone loves to buy into (either best band on the planet...or worst!)

    I was the first to arrive (got there at about 8 pm) and the 'mats were digging into some burgers in a wooden booth off to the side- the place was literally empty except for them. I tried to be cool and position myself in an unobtrusive spot, but I was basically spying on them the whole time. The guys all wandered off after eating, except for Paul. He chain-smoked his way through a pack of straights while propped up on a chair at the rear of the empty stage. I was the only person there, pretending like I was just some random bar patron who happened to arrive there early for some random rock show (yeah right.) Paul sussed it out right away from his stage perch, and seemed to be amused at my studied indifference. It was insanely awkward, but I think he got a kick out of my transparent teenage attempt at bluffery.

    In retrospect I think that at that moment I proved myself to be the ultimate Replacements fan: I had shown up alone at a completely uncool "pre-show" time-- and there they were, my disheveled idols, bored and without any distraction at all. And yet I didn't even have the guts to go talk to them! Talk about "nightclub jitters"....ah, youth! Thine insecurity ought to be pronounced a precious resource of humanity, forever and always.

    ReplyDelete